GWT, Google App Engine and SciSpike

This week (and most of last week) I’ve been developing a GWT application for our new venture SciSpike.

The team at SciSpike are all very experienced architects/developers, so the selection of technology to use was quite difficult. Pretty much every options were available to us. We all are used to architecting and teaching classes on various web technology. We discussed using:

  • Ruby on Rails
  • .NET
  • Struts 2
  • PHP
  • Traditional JSP and Servlets
  • Dojo
  • YUI
  • Google Web Toolkit
  • The Play framework
  • Scala and Lift

All technologies that we master and all good choices for building a dynamic site. Eventually we settled for GWT and Google Application Engine (GAE).

Looking back, I think we made a wise choice for a couple of reasons:

  • We managed to go from conception to a complete site in less than one week (speaks volumes of the productivity in GWT)
  • We deployed the site with no hassle (using GAE and deploying the site to the Google cloud)

We did run across a set of issues that I though others may benefit from. It is my goal to share these issues with you in a few of the next blog entries. In particular, I’ll discuss.

  • Search Engine Optimization with dynamic content
  • Combining GWT with generative approaches
  • Using the Google Site Search

No Comments Yet.

Leave a comment