Duration: 5 Days
Course code: SS-W20-002
The Web 2.0 Technologies training course is intended for web developers who already have experience with building web applications and want to learn how to build the next generation of web applications.
- Experienced web developers
The Web 2.0 Technologies training course offers an overview of the various Web 2.0 techniques and tools.
Once the province of client-server applications with very limited GUIs, the web has become a rich platform for application development. Recently the web has spawned a new generation of software that fosters communities of users, empowering them to create, share, and participate in the virtual community. Another trend has been the maturing of the ASP model, where software or services are hosted on a server and delivered via the web. What distinguishes these applications from the earlier generation of web applications is both conceptual and technological.
On the conceptual side is the commitment to the web as a platform, from the business model to the user interaction. Instead of using the web as another broadcast medium or a fancy mail-order catalog, a Web 2.0 application tries to take advantage of the web-as-platform, bringing together users with the site creators and with each other.
On the technological side lie a host of special techniques designed to enhance the user experience and to overcome the technological limitations of previous web applications.
The Web 2.0 Technologies training course will focus on the technological side of Web 2.0, giving you all the information you need to build Web 2.0 applications, including how to build rich browser-based user interfaces with Ajax, how to build hybrid offline/online web applications with Adobe AIR, how to syndicate content with XML and RSS or Atom, how to use and create web APIs, how to combine (i.e., mashup) data and services from different sources into a single application, how to work with video streams in a browser or other rich internet application (RIA) platform, how to provide forums for your users to interact via wikis or blogs, and how to manage the content of Web 2.0 applications.
Upon completion of this course, attendees will be able to:
- Understand Web 2.0 applications
- Identify different Web 2.0 business models and applications
- Build rich browser-based user interfaces
- Use popular Web APIs to connect to other web applications
- Build a wiki and/or blog using QEDWiki
- Maintain a web application using a content management system
- Integrate rich content, such as video, into a web application
- Build web applications that can function even when the web is unavailable
- Syndicate your web application's content
- Process other web syndications
Outline for Web 2.0 Training Course
Coming to Terms with Web 2.0
- What is Web 2.0?
- Taxonomy of Web 2.0 Applications
- Web 2.0 Technology Overview
Introduction to Ajax
- The problem with traditional web applications
- UI Widgets for Ajax applications
- Contacting the server without page refreshing
- Handling the back button
- What are mashups?
- Google Maps API
- Del.icio.us API
- Videos with the YouTube widget
- A Sample Mashup
Linking Your Users
- Creating mashups with QEDWiki
- Collaborative documents with QEDWiki
- Categorizing with tags
- Customizing content for users
Content Management Systems
- Introduction to CMSs
- Joomla!, a free, powerful CMS
- Installing Joomla!
- Customizing Joomla! websites
- Building Joomla! extensions
Network and Cloud Computing
- What is Cloud Computing?
- Google's MapReduce
- Network Storage with Amazon S3
- Cloud Computing with Amazon EC2
Building Offline Applications
- ASP model
- ASP mission-critical applications
- Cutting the network cord
- Introduction to Adobe AIR
- Accessing local files and resources
- Using a local database